Skip to main content

Solitaire: Joker's Gambit Postmortem! (V3)

 

  • Group 5

  • Solitaire: Joker’s Gambit is a modified version of Solitaire in which the inclusion of the Joker cards provides a new layer of depth and strategy to the game. Managing your Jokers carefully will allow you to gain an edge, but get careless and you’ll risk ending your game!!

  • Target Audience: Puzzle Solvers, Fans of Solitaire who want to play the game with a new twist/challenge


Solitaire: Extreme! Has changed a lot since my last post here! Our playtests of the second iteration of this project had brought a significant problem to light. The game just felt like Solitaire. This I believe stemmed from two factors: One, the consequence of moving a face down card to the stock or tableau didn't end up being as impactful as we had hoped, as either way it would just be found again later without any adjustment to the  strategy used. Second, the Joker cards would be taken out of circulation after they were triggered, meaning that once both had been used, the game was entirely the same as Standard Solitaire. Solving these issues was our main goal as we entered into our third revision, and we've finished it with a complete overhaul of the Joker mechanics!


Playing so much Solitaire lately has had me thinking a lot about card games, and I was inspired by another one I had played, Exploding Kittens. In that game you draw cards from a deck, and if you get an exploding kitten card, you're out. But, if you have a defuse card (which each player receives) then you're saved and have to discard that. Being forced to use a defuse and being left at the mercy of potentially drawing a game over card added what I call Stages of Intensity to the game. The first stage being the feeling of safety when you have one or more defuse cards, and the second being tension when you're without one and could face game over the next time you draw from the deck.

Exploding Kittens: Defuse Cards (Top) and Exploding Kitten Cards (Bottom)


I thought that I could also utilize these stages of intensity in Solitaire, since there are two Jokers. My idea was that drawing two Jokers meant game over. My intention with this was that the player would start in the  first stage, feeling safe, and then drawing a joker would put them into the second stage, fearful that they could trigger a game over at any moment.


However, one problem was that it was inevitable that every card in the game would eventually have to be turned face up in order for the player to achieve victory, and therefore it was near impossible that someone could win without having drawn both Jokers. Therefore, there needed to be a way for the Player to go from Intensity  Stage 2 back to Stage 1. Here I was also able to give the Jokers even more depth, by transforming them into not just an obstacle but a tool. 


Joker cards are typically used as wilds, so I thought that I could incorporate that and tap into some general playing card tropes that are easy to understand, with the catch that Jokers could only substitute as cards of their color. Furthermore, finding the card that a Joker is substituting would allow you to replace the Joker and "diffuse" it like you would an Exploding Kitten, by placing it within the face down cards of the tableau. This procedure also solved the problem of the game becoming indistinguishable from normal solitaire once the Jokers have served their purpose and gone out of circulation.


Joker Card being Substituted for a Black 3 (Left)

Joker Card being replaced and moved back into the deck (Right)


From here, I playtested this new version of Solitaire, and after creating a rough draft of our new rule sheet, had my partner try it as well using only the rules I had written down. We took note of what my partner needed help understanding, which allowed us to avoid ending the playtest due to confusion and show us which areas of the game needed to be better defined. After we had both refined the rule sheet together, My partner was able to playtest with a roommate using only the rule sheet, and it was a success!! The busy weekend hadn't given me time to run a playtest on my end like I would have liked, but I think that our rule sheet turned out very well and easy to understand for Solitaire Players.


Overall I feel very proud of our finished product! Going into this assignment I felt very nervous. The rules of Solitaire create a delicate system that when modified, can often lead to unwinnable games. Even more, I worried about how I would make something fun to play as well. Though by working together with my partner, and applying the knowledge I've learned in this course, along with outside inspiration, I've ended up with a game that I'm happy that I made, and that I think is pretty fun and has a fair amount of added depth to it as well. I'm once again nervous for the next project, since we're starting from scratch, but this time I'm more excited as I feel I have more tools and more experience to aid me in the game development process!


Patch Notes


-Reworked the Joker Mechanics

-Jokers now have two states: Face-Up and Face-Down, Jokers become face up as soon as they are uncovered and remain so until turned Face-Down

-Face-Up Jokers can substitute as any card of the Joker’s color

-Face-Up Jokers can be replaced by the card they are substituting for once it is found. This will turn the Joker face down and place it 2 cards deep into the face down cards of the tableau pile it is occupying (at the back of the pile if there are less than 2 face down cards)

-If both Jokers are Face-Up at any given time, the game ends


-The Rule Sheet has been reformatted into two sections like before, a how to play section for players familiar with Solitaire, and a section to teach players how to play Standard Solitaire

-This change made in V2 was reverted because we felt that combining these two rulesets made players already familiar with solitaire feel like they were sorting through unnecessary reading to find the new rules they needed to get started.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mega Man Levels 1 and 2

Adding Keys Adding keys and doors had a great effect on my level in the transition from V1 to V2! Since my level was already laid out along a linear path, I had to make a detour that branched off from the midsection of my level in which the player acquired a key to reach the ending. I added a lava cave beneath my jungle that I themed around a mining site, with Drill enemies and lots of breakable blocks. It ended up being probably my favorite section of the whole level!! Adding Weapons Adding Weapons was really fun, because the new movement abilities allowed me to design new platforming challenges! The Weapons I chose for my 2nd level were Oil Slider and Charge Kick! I really liked the Charge Kick because the double jump both tested the player's timing and spacing skills as well as allowed me to design new kinds of platforming challenges! I chose the O Slider because I thought the surfing was so cool and that a surfing section would be super fun!! In the actual design of the level

Treats and Trials: Postmortem!

  Game Info Group Number 2 In Treats and Trials, Players build their own haunted houses out of trap and candy cards. Then, the exploration phase begins and players explore each other’s haunted houses by turning over cards! Candy cards give you candy pieces, but trap cards raise your fear level and can force you to leave without collecting all the candy! The Player with the most candy after three rounds is the winner! Target Audience: Director, Explorer, Competitor, Achiever The Pitch This time around, we were pitching our own original game ideas to the class! This assignment was due on halloween night, and since halloween was fresh in my mind I was thinking about halloween games that I could create. I recalled how when I was very young, my grandparents liked to set up a haunted house in their front yard for trick or treaters to explore. (It terrified me when I was 3!) With this on my mind, I thought of how I could bring the experience of exploring a haunted maze to a card game, or mo

Unit 3 Playtest 1

  Games Played Knights, Wizards, and More The Gray Cross H.O.P.E. Cure Extraction Formal Elements (Knights, Wizards, and More) Players Knights, Wizards and More (KWM) is a 4 Player game, with a Multilateral Interaction Pattern Objectives The main objective of KWM is to be the last player standing Accomplishing this comes with some smaller objectives along the way, such as Acquiring better gear Defeating other Opponents Rules Each card has special rules for when it is played, which are shown on the cards Players can only move the number of spaces that corresponds to their dice roll Players must take turns When Players cross paths on the game board, they enter combat When a Player’s HP reaches 0, they are out of the game The card you draw is determined by the color of the space you land on after moving Procedures Rolling the Dice (Movement, Defending, Attacking) Flipping a Coin (Deciding who goes first) Using Cards (Items, Equipment, Special) Moving your Character Drawing Cards