Skip to main content

3D Level 1 V2 Changes and Feedback

  My level underwent some drastic changes between v1 and v2, I ended up scrapping my v1 and starting over as I believed it didn’t provide a good foundation for me to build upon, but that some of the encounters I made could be reused.


Overall I think my changes made a significant positive impact on my level. For starters, I separated individual mechanics into their own sections where they could be introduced and interacted with at a steady pace, so as to not overwhelm the player. This structure was fun to work with because it was very modular and I could easily design short but fun challenges for the player to overcome with breaks and checkpoints in the middle. This also made the critical path of the level extremely easy to follow, as the Player was always looking for the exit door in every room.


Some mechanics I thought were implemented well were textboxes, Chompers, Switches, and Doors. I implemented some text boxes that helped the player know what to expect, as well as provided some good pacing to my level as players would slow down to read the messages between platforming and combat challenges I also created a character through these textboxes named <SYSTEM>, who acted kind of like GLaDOS in the early sections of Portal, providing the player with guidance as well as the sense that they were being tested. 


When placing the chompers, I deliberately rotated some of them so that they would be facing away from the player when the player approached them. This demonstrated to players that Chompers had a “blind spot” that could be exploited to sneak up behind them for a free hit. My players were able to pick up on this. Meanwhile, the doors and switches added a more cinematic feel to the level I was told by my players, as each transition room has a door that must be opened with a nearby switch.


One mechanic that did not go as well as I thought it would was the Acid challenge room.  I used the acid not just as a death pit to fall into but as blocks that would kill you on contact. One such challenge was that the player had to jump through a crack between two acid blocks, but the crack ended up being difficult to get through as it was pretty small.


Annotated Map of the Boss Lead-Up Section


In the lead-up to the boss battle, I plan to challenge the player by presenting them with a gauntlet style challenge consisting of all the mechanics they’ve learned about so far. I’m excited to use multiple mechanics at once and see how they can interact with each other! One idea I had was to again combine the moving platforms with the acid, but this time have a series of platforms rising and sinking in and out of a pool of acid. I think this will make for an interesting and intense timing challenge! I also like the idea of using Spitters as “turrets” of sorts by placing them outside the player’s reach, forcing them to dodge the Spitter’s projectiles as they take on other challenges. One other idea I want to expand upon that I’ve used already is using the doors as platforms that rise up out from the acid. I don’t know if I can place the AI enemies on top of the doors and have them be pushed by them, but if so I’d like to have a section where platforms rise up out of the acid with enemies on top of them that must be defeated.


I plan to introduce the boss arena with two giant imposing doors. I believe that this approach will really catch the attention of the player as it will stand out against the geometry of the rest of the level. The scale of the doors will also hopefully make the player’s expect something big and grand to be inside of it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mega Man Levels 1 and 2

Adding Keys Adding keys and doors had a great effect on my level in the transition from V1 to V2! Since my level was already laid out along a linear path, I had to make a detour that branched off from the midsection of my level in which the player acquired a key to reach the ending. I added a lava cave beneath my jungle that I themed around a mining site, with Drill enemies and lots of breakable blocks. It ended up being probably my favorite section of the whole level!! Adding Weapons Adding Weapons was really fun, because the new movement abilities allowed me to design new platforming challenges! The Weapons I chose for my 2nd level were Oil Slider and Charge Kick! I really liked the Charge Kick because the double jump both tested the player's timing and spacing skills as well as allowed me to design new kinds of platforming challenges! I chose the O Slider because I thought the surfing was so cool and that a surfing section would be super fun!! In the actual design of the level

Treats and Trials: Postmortem!

  Game Info Group Number 2 In Treats and Trials, Players build their own haunted houses out of trap and candy cards. Then, the exploration phase begins and players explore each other’s haunted houses by turning over cards! Candy cards give you candy pieces, but trap cards raise your fear level and can force you to leave without collecting all the candy! The Player with the most candy after three rounds is the winner! Target Audience: Director, Explorer, Competitor, Achiever The Pitch This time around, we were pitching our own original game ideas to the class! This assignment was due on halloween night, and since halloween was fresh in my mind I was thinking about halloween games that I could create. I recalled how when I was very young, my grandparents liked to set up a haunted house in their front yard for trick or treaters to explore. (It terrified me when I was 3!) With this on my mind, I thought of how I could bring the experience of exploring a haunted maze to a card game, or mo

Unit 3 Playtest 1

  Games Played Knights, Wizards, and More The Gray Cross H.O.P.E. Cure Extraction Formal Elements (Knights, Wizards, and More) Players Knights, Wizards and More (KWM) is a 4 Player game, with a Multilateral Interaction Pattern Objectives The main objective of KWM is to be the last player standing Accomplishing this comes with some smaller objectives along the way, such as Acquiring better gear Defeating other Opponents Rules Each card has special rules for when it is played, which are shown on the cards Players can only move the number of spaces that corresponds to their dice roll Players must take turns When Players cross paths on the game board, they enter combat When a Player’s HP reaches 0, they are out of the game The card you draw is determined by the color of the space you land on after moving Procedures Rolling the Dice (Movement, Defending, Attacking) Flipping a Coin (Deciding who goes first) Using Cards (Items, Equipment, Special) Moving your Character Drawing Cards